Effective date: April 20, 2021
Aaaclimateleadership.org is a website operated by Environmental Defense Fund (EDF). This Privacy Notice explains how we collect, use and disclose personal data gathered through this website. We take protecting your privacy very seriously and will always take all reasonable steps within our power to make sure your personal information is safe.
The website is not intended for persons under the age of 18. We do not knowingly collect personal information from young people. We reserve the right to delete any information identified as having been provided by under 18s at our discretion.
This Privacy Notice will be updated from time to time. If you have any questions, please Contact Us.
- Who we are and how to contact us
- What personal information we collect
- How we collect personal information
- What purposes do we use your personal information for
- The lawful grounds we rely on to use your personal information
- Your rights concerning your personal information
- Who we share your personal information with
- How we keep your personal information safe
- How long we will store your personal information for
1. WHO WE ARE AND HOW TO CONTACT US
The website operator, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF), is a non-profit, tax-deductible environmental advocacy and research organization. EDF are responsible for any information collected on or used by our websites.
2. WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
The personal information we collect includes:
- Any personal information you provide via the website, e.g. if you sign-up for email updates. Sign-up is optional, but if you do wish to sign up we ask you to provide your first name, last name, organization and email address.
- We request the same personal information if you use our Contact Us form.
- Details of your visit to the website, including technical information (such as the IP address you use to access the website and your web browser) and which pages were visited.
3. HOW WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect personal information when you interact with us. The type and quantity of personal information we collect and how we use it depends on why you are providing it. For example, we may collect information when you:
- Visit and browse our website
- Sign up for our email updates
- When you use our Contact Us form.
4. WHAT PURPOSES WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION FOR
We will use your personal information to:
- Keep a record of your contact with us
- Provide you with the services, products or information you asked for
- To provide email updates to you. We will only send these if you requested these emails. You can opt-out at any time.
- To carry out any obligations arising from any contracts or agreements you may enter into with us.
5. THE LAWFUL GROUNDS WE RELY ON TO USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We rely on the following lawful grounds to use your personal information:
a) When it is necessary in connection with the performance of a contract with you
Sometimes it is necessary to process your personal information so that we can fulfil our contractual obligations to you.
b) If you have provided your consent to us using your personal information for a specific purpose
We will ask for your consent to use your personal information to send email updates. These are optional and you always have the right to withdraw your consent at any time.
c) When it is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation
We may sometimes need to process personal data to meet a specific legal obligation.
d) When it is within our legitimate interests
We may process personal information when it is necessary for EDF’s legitimate interests, or those of a third party. We will only do this when the processing is fair, proportionate and does not unduly impact the rights or interests of individuals.
6. YOUR RIGHTS CONCERNING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You have certain rights concerning how we use your personal information.
Right to access your personal information
If you are an resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), or if you live in certain other areas (such as California) you have the right to access the personal data we may hold about you and the purposes for which we use it. If you wish to exercise this right please let us know via our Contact Us form. We may ask for proof of your identity. On receipt of your request we will endeavour to respond to you as soon as possible, at most within one calendar month.
You have a right to ask for any errors in the personal information we hold about you to be rectified (called the Right of Rectification), or to request the restriction of our processing of your personal information or to request for it to be erased.
If you don’t want us to retain certain personal information, it’s best just not to give that personal information to us. If you want us to erase certain or all of the personal information we hold about you, please let us know. You may obtain, rectify, update or delete records of your personal information, or change your preferences, by using the Contact Us form.
Right to withdraw consent
If you signed-up to receive our newsletter you can withdraw your consent by clicking on the ‘Unsubscribe’ link on any email update we send you.
Right to complain
You have the right to complain to us about the way we use your personal information, using the email address above. If you live in the European Economic Area you also have the right to complain to your local data protection authority about the way we use your personal information.
7. WHO WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH
We would only disclose your personal information with other parties for specific, limited and legal purposes, such as:
- if we believe in good faith that the law requires disclosure, such as in the event of a police investigation, or to regulatory bodies or legal advisors;
- when it’s necessary to disclose information to protect the rights, property and safety of EDF or others;
- if you have given us your permission to share it with another party
We may allow our suppliers or data processors to access and use your personal information to allow them to perform specific services on our behalf. In these circumstances, we will not give these organisations any rights to use your personal information for their own purposes. They must only use your details to provide specific services to us, in accordance with our instructions.
As part of agreements with our service providers we may need to transfer personal information to other countries, so they can perform services on our behalf. When doing so we take steps to ensure that the transfer and processing of personal information is subject to appropriate security measures and safeguards.
8. HOW WE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION SAFE
We take commercially reasonable precautions to protect us and our users from unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of information we hold.
We take care to utilize appropriate and reasonable administrative, physical, and technical measures to help safeguard personally identifiable information that we control. While we use encryption to protect sensitive information transmitted online, we also protect your information offline. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job are granted access to personally identifiable information. The computers/servers on which we store personally identifiable information and process credit card donations and updates to monthly billing are kept in a secure environment. We also use “anti-hacking” security measures and employ security consultants.
Despite the efforts we use to protect your information, no transmission or electronic storage of information can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your use of the Services or engagement with us is no longer secure, please contact us immediately.
9. HOW LONG WE WILL STORE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION FOR
We will hold your personal information only as long as is necessary for specific purpose(s), in accordance with our Data Retention Policy.
This Privacy Notice was updated in April 2021.